Three-storey and single-storey extension to the existing Pinewood School, providing new kitchen and servery space along with dormitory space on the first floor and Matrons’ accommodation on the second floor.
- The kitchen remained operational throughout the construction works, the programme allowed for increased labour/activity during the school breaks.
- Pinewood School is situated within a conservation area.
- Access to the site was constrained and the working area limited due to the proximity of existing buildings/external walls and the site topography. A temporary trackway had to be laid to provide access to the location of the extension.
- On commencement of the works, a culvert was discovered under the existing kitchen. Drainage works were re-designed and accommodated within the currency of the contract.
- Timber frame construction was utilised with an external stone wall construction which included traditional style timber windows.
- Due to the access constraints, all materials had to be forklifted up a steep gradient along the temporary trackway and lifted in through the windows.
- This project was completed safely, on programme, to the highest quality standards and within budget.