Making safe and demolition of fire damaged factory
- Reported as the largest commercial insured loss fire in Europe and one of the major demolition sites in the UK with chemical and military sensitivity for the UK and American Airforce.
- EG Carter & Co Ltd were on site within 24 hours to secure the site and ensure that the demolition was carried out in a controlled and safe manner whilst remaining aware of the sensitive military security of the site.
- The buildings and main factory were a total loss with 800 tonnes of asbestos contaminated waste and considerable volumes of steel and other waste streams being removed from site.
- Extensive stabilisation and shoring up of sections was required to enable machinery and assets to be carefully removed and restored.
- An elevation of the building was adjacent to a £3M office building left predominantly standing with smoke damage. The office building was subsequently demolished following the sensitive remove of all the IT equipment and confidential documentation.
- This project was the winner of a major award by our independent safety advisors – The Building Safety Group – Best Project in Planning and Execution – GE Aviation.
- This highly sensitive project which involved the very highest levels of security clearance was completed safely, on time and within budget.